~ Here is my story, told one 'Spunky' moment {and craft} at a time. ~

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

How do you figure sales tax?

Since I sell both locally (craft fairs, vendors) and on Etsy (some taxed and some untaxed sales) I have had to decide on how I want to deal with the question of collecting sales taxes.

When pricing I have decided that I will just 'eat' the sales tax on local purchases so that I don't have to mess with collecting sales taxes right then.  I figure that at local craft fairs I am not paying Etsy or PayPal on these sales.  Plus, on Etsy I want to encourage customers to come back and not give them sticker shock by collecting sales tax after they have decided to make a purchase. 


So... I have set up my Sales Spreadsheet to collect the info I need to complete my State Sales Tax Form, this is seperate from my detailed sales report or item inventory sheets.  Total Sales and Taxable Sales.  Since I don't collect sales tax 'on-top' of the cost of the item's price, I have to back-up to the pre-tax price to find out how much was for sales tax.  Here is a website that has a set of boxes where you can plug in your numbers, and it will figure it out for you: Sales Tax Calculator (I haven't tried this out through).

Or...

You can take your price and divide by 1.(sales tax) to find out what your pre-tax price would be.  For a $10 item it would look like this:

$10 / 1.0825 = 9.24 (this is the item's 'real' price)

To double check: $9.24 x 8.25% = 0.76  

This worked quickly when I went through my list of sales.  All sales that happened in my state I just figured out the pre-tax price this way.  Then I added all sales, and all taxable sales together to complete the tax form.  I even got my sales tax file ahead of the deadline!

0 thoughts so far.:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. I love reading your comments, and enjoy returning the favor {even if it takes me a while to return it, LOL!}.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My photo
I am a fun loving mom of two, that fits in reading a book whenever possible! Come see what I am reading and what free eBooks I have found to share with you! ~Kimberlee
back to top

Posts by Category...

1st Monday Sale (1) Accuquilt (3) Affiliate Network (1) Available Designs (4) Awards (1) Ayano (1) Blog Earnings Breakout (2) Blog Freebies (4) Blog How-To Tips (8) Blogoversary (1) Book Reviews (18) BookSneeze (2) Burp Cloths (6) Buttons (5) charity (4) Charity of the Month (1) Children (21) Christian (3) Cleaning (2) Colleen Coble (2) Craft Fair (9) decorating (2) Did it. (1) Disclosure Policy (1) Doggie Edition (1) Easter (4) Ellie Inspired (3) Embroidery Club (2) Etsy Tuesday (13) Etsy/Artfire (22) Fabric (15) Fat Quarter Shop (2) Featured 5 (2) Fiction (2) Five Question Friday (35) Freebie (1) Fundraiser (1) Funny (5) general update (40) Give Away (52) Giveaways (45) Graphics (4) Guest Posts (6) holidays (6) How-To (40) Inspiration (3) iPhone Apps (1) Just Thursday (1) Keyfobs (4) Kimberley Kennedy (1) Link-ups (5) Links (87) Living Simply (7) Mail-Man (1) Making Money On-Line (9) Max Lucado (1) Mega Blog Hop (1) Moda (3) Moda Fresh Flowers Quilt (3) Mug Swap (2) No Fabric Pledge (3) non-fiction (2) Outdoors (1) p2 (13) pattern (3) Photos (13) Pinned it (1) Planner (4) post-its (1) Product Reviews (11) Project (11) Project Posts (11) Quilt Blocks (8) Quilt Challenges (1) quilt-along (12) Quilts (8) Random (2) Ratings (1) Scrapbooking (1) serger projects (3) Sewing (9) Sewing Challenge (9) Siri Mitchell (1) Special Request Items (16) Sponsor Post (2) Stay-Put Towels (21) Sticky Notes (1) SwagBucks (8) Swaps (3) Thrifty (7) Tissue Cozies (6) Treasury Thursday (6) Tuesday Tips (1) Tutorials (16) Tutu Drive (6) Wednesday Weigh-In (3) Weekend Wrap (23) Weight Loss (9) Weight Loss Updates (8) winners (2) Winning Wednesday (1) Wordless Wednesday (7)